'72 swim team

'72 swim team
My New Tribe

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sister Godzilla


Hey, I'm the guy in the diaper above. What your missing in the picture is 5 more (not puppies) family members. See those pants the older boys are wearing  - the ones with holes? Yeah those -  they got passed down a few more times before they got to me. That's what I called "hand-me down, down, down, downs." Every now and then I got lucky and got shirts that had most of the buttons still intact.  I always felt a little insecure and a bit self conscience about my clothes. So now I'll give you one more little snippet from my fictional memoir.

 Chapter 1  First day of Fifth Grade (cont)


All I wanted was a fair chance for once, but it was always the same thing. Sister Lucilla had only gotten as far as the “D’s” on her roll call, saw my name and freaked out in front of everybody. I smiled hoping to please my fifth grade teacher.  It didn’t work. She pulled me from my seat, stuck me in the hallway just outside the door and stomped down to the head nun in charge of the Catholic grammar school. 

 "He’s one of them.” she said protesting to Sister Superior. "Those kids are from the Pit of Abomination and I don’t think I could survive one more year. Mother Superior, no disrespect, but as you know, I barely made it through that experience alive.” She pounded her fist on the desk with every one of her last six words. “No! No! No! Absolutely not!” She screamed with angry eyebrows in a tone that sounded more and more like begging ―loud enough for practically everyone in the entire school to hear. 

“Please?” She finished, pitifully as if waving the white flag, pleading that it just wasn’t fair. She felt that she had suffered long enough.  With her left eye twitching, she despaired that one more Dahlin would likely push her into an early grave.

Considering the Dahlins a terminal infestation that had plagued the school for the past 10 years, Sister Superior didn’t even try to argue with her.  Instead she just looked with empathy at the nun (who at 63 ―looked at least 83) and said "life was not fair."
Being excited about the intake of another Dahlin boy was like being excited about ingesting spoiled food, both were sure to trigger a bad case of dysentery, bound to last an entire year. 

Pathetically limping away she was determined to pay me back for all the horrible pranks and crimes my older brothers had committed against her over the past eight years ―especially the pool incident at the beginning of summer.                          MORE ABOUT THAT LATER

“Apocalypse. Apocalypse,” She mumbled in defeat under her breath dragging her weary carcass back down the long corridor.  Pausing in front of a statue of Mary, sister made the sign of the cross and with new resolve, the stout five-foot German tank, pumped her cold boney fist into the air with the grit of a kamikaze pilot looked up at me and shouted,  “Not this year!  Not this time!”

6 comments:

  1. When my mom went to school to sign me up for 1st grade, we came right after school ended. The first class we came to upon entering the school was Sister Godzilla (Lucilla) in her classroom, who was sitting her little round body at her desk with three hulking, smelly 5th grade boys, looking guilty and scared simultaneously. Mom slowed down because the reason they were so scared was because she was calling down the wrath of God himself for some infraction the boys had been found guilty of, all the while madly waving a wooden ruler. Most all students and some other mom's there to pick up their kids had halted in the main hall to see/hear her holy ranting. Mom was shocked to say the least. We proceeded onto the main office, with her loudly whispering, "Whoa nelly" under her breath. Her first question in signing me up was not how much was tuition or uniforms, but was that nun going to be my teacher next year???? "No" was the response from Sister Superior. Out came the cash to hold my spot for next year. I wasn't too into prayer back then, but I know I whispered one about Sister Superior not telling a lie for the first time in her life. Sister Lucilla was a force to be reckoned with and Heaven and all the saints help you if you crossed her path. She was the front guard of the old school Sisters of the Holy Name of Jesus and Mary. They thankfully broke the mold when she was born. And thankfully Mark, you and I were in different 5th grade classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First: this is true, Danny Gomez and I were both almost kicked out on the very first day. (to my ADHD recollection all I did was Yawn! Sister Godzilla had enough Dahlins, but Miss Boccaccio (spelling) across the hall - YOUR CLASSROOM - LUCKY! was not about to have me in her class and Mrs. McNellis wasn't about to take me back in the 4th grade. HA! I had flunking Insurance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should have said second. Why didn't I say second? Second: was the fact that after all those brothers come before me, the Archdiocese must have granted me "flunking immunity"

    ReplyDelete
  4. and Thirdly: It was probably my Brothers she was verbally lambasting and tacking on another million years of purgatory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Pastor Mark, you've done well. I am sure Sister Lucilla/Godzilla is up there somewhere with her ruler, admitting that maybe she was too hasty and you turned out okay after all. And yes, I believe there was Divine protective covering over you to keep you there with her. Can't judge a book by it's banged up, bandaged up, cast wearing/crutches needing cover.

    ReplyDelete