'72 swim team

'72 swim team
My New Tribe

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

THE APOCALYPSE


THE APOCALYPSE

Warfare.

Every year before my first day of class I had a reputation that preceded me and this year was no different.

I was the enemy.

With my golden hair neatly plastered with my dad’s frugal concoction of sugar-water, I arrived in patched hand-me-downs and a uniform sweater “borrowed” from the lost and found. As usual I was wearing smelly socks scavenged from the floor of Flea-Bait’s room and three Band-Aids on my forehead covering my latest battle wounds. What made me stick out more than all that was the bright red nose which was still recovering from the sunburn that I got at Salton Sea a couple weeks ago. The only bright spot in my last minute transfer across the hall to Sister Lucilla’s class was my brand new PF Flyers. My parents gave them to me as a bribe. Handing me the shoes, mom said I could not mention anything about our Salton Sea vacation to another living soul. 
Excerpt from my fictionalized memoir: Markie D - Monkey in the Attic.

My Thoughts. I always thought I was weird for being afraid of the dark and as though I just didn't fit in with my motley crew. My family had left me behind at Salton Sea and for a little kid of 9 years old it was a pretty traumatic event.  We all just laughed it off later (I pretended well), but in reality it did wound the psyche of a small kid trying to find his fit in the world. I felt like one of those nervous rats that had to walk around the edge of the room with its whiskers touching the wall.  

Am I alone out there? Is there anyone else that felt like me? Scared? Nervous? Hurt? Disconnected? Unloved? Lost? It was hard for me to image any another human being in the entire world to have self-esteem as low as me.  I want to share some of my crazy childhood stories with you knowing that you have a story to share too. Share your childhood memories, comment below.   

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, my childhood was pretty messed up. My neighbor made me work on his roof one summer, in the heat, and it was scary. I would rather sit behind a computer all day as apposed to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coman722, one thing that I was very thankful for.. despite all the dysfunction in my family, was the fact that we were brought up to believe that a little work would never kill anyone. The best thing that probably happened to you in a long time was getting out from behind that computer and sweating on your neighbor's roof. Life is not fair and life can be very difficult. Press on my friend and get out and get some sunshine, pull some weeds (in the words of Bob Dylan) "serve somebody." Wax on - Wax off grasshopper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, I can remember that scared feeling. When I was 6 years old we lived in Long Island and had a basement that had been finished as a game room with a bathroom and when my mom would get locked out of the house (which was frequently) she would send me down in through the window of the bathroom to unlock the front door. I would race out the bathroom door into the dark game room up the stairs to the front door like I was being chased by a monster.
    What is really odd, I can walk through my home with all the lights off and not hit a thing. My husband thinks I am so weird.......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tami, we had side steps down to our carport where the washer and dryer were. Those steps took you down through a dark unfinished basement. I always felt like something (a monster of sorts) was going to reach through the stairs and grab my ankles and drag me into the darkness. I always rationalized my fear that because none of our doors had locks that worked that a brother or some stranger might be waiting in ambush. (but my real fear of what-ever-it-was that was lurking in the dark - some unknown - unseen force that lived in those dark places.) I hated to go into the attic third floor when the lights were off and after turning them off I would walk - pretending to be calm then run to turn the corner to the stairs leading down to the second story.

    ReplyDelete