'72 swim team

'72 swim team
My New Tribe

Thursday, September 24, 2015

Half Naked in the Janitor Closet.

Worst shirt in the world and the worst day ever got even weirder, but didn't turn out so bad after all.

Undressing in the janitor closetbare-chested I found myself cornered and uncomfortable. The conclusion in a minute.








I met a new freshman kid named, Alex, who said he wanted to try out for the football team. The fact that he wanted to play football should have made us rivals. Football players and swimmers at Saint Monica High School seemed like oil and water—we weren't supposed to mix.

I could only pull up the collar of Keith Bjelajac's Saint Mark's sweater so far and think that Alex saw my ridiculous shirt in History class and felt sorry for me. I tried to hide from everyone the best I could, but at lunch Alex found me in the alley between the gym and the music room.

He had a lunch bag which caught my attention. Since mom taught and was always exhausted, she had quit making lunches about 7 years ago. It was easy for me to fend for myself while in grammar school because we only lived a block away. My little sister, Karin, and her best friend, Annie Lennon, would follow me home at lunch time and we always managed to scrounge up something having to do with day-old Pioneer Bread.

But here at Saint Monica'sthat was a different story. I just figured that I would survive without having lunch. Pshawlunch is for regular kids. Alex's mom packed him a hamburger that had been wrapped in multiple layers of tin-foil. Alex didn't dare want to tell his mother that he didn't like the pickles that were squished on top of his burger and offered them to me.

I was now on the Alex Delgadillo food program - two slices of pickles every day and whatever else I could mooch off of him.


Anyway, it was the end of my first day at High School and I was hiding in the janitor closet stripping the hideous shirt off my body when the door opened.  Like the proverbial "dear in the headlights" I froze.

Football player?
Water polo player?
Janitor?  

 I WISH.

It was one of those catholic-priest-type-guys we called brothers. Brother Michael stood there and stared and I felt like I was naked. After coming to my senses, I scrambled to put on the brown sweater when he said, "No rush."

GROSS! I felt icky.

Footsteps. He walked away and said he would see me tomorrow in his History class like it was a promise. I felt like it was a threat.  

Fast and furious I pulled out about 500 rolls of toilet paper from one of the trashcans they were kept in, and buried the shirt on the very bottom. A fitting burial, I figured! I thought about setting fire to the school but realized that it may have been overkill.

On the 3 Lincoln bus on the way home a senior girl spotted me in my sweater with the deep V (without shirt) and my inglorious bare chest that hadn't been visited yet by a single hair.

To the shagrin of the other boys from Saint Marks who had gone through puberty in the 5th grade and had mustaches that rivaled Sister Cheryl'sthis full-bodied blonde-bombshell picked me.

Ha. Take that Ricky.

This fully developed woman invited me to sit on her lap. I felt a little like I was back in the janitor closet. It was kind of weird, but I was now the envy of those mustached boys. I would like to think that she thought I was sexy with my bare chest and all, but think it was more like she wanted to mother me like I was her child.

Oh Boy.  Maybe, Andrea would take notice and be jealous. Maybe this day wouldn't end so bad after all.

I obediently sat on her lap as she combed my hair and made sure to push her upper female-parts into my body.  NICE. But seriously, now I was nervous. What was she going to doadopt me? Something far sinister I feared.    


I made it back to Venice with some of my dignity intact.

Now I had to figure out how I could dump this scheming, senior-chick before she had a chance to work any of her sensual magic on me. 

After we got off the bus Ricky and Jim wanted to beat me up, but other than that I thought this "high-school-thing" might not be so bad after all.  

hehehehe 

Never again plaid and stripes!  Never again. 

One day older. One day wiser.  

Around the corner at Foster's Freeze and back to the Harding House where the Wolf Pack was waiting to pounce on me. 



“Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.

          It’s not.”                                                                                        Dr. Seuss


No comments:

Post a Comment