'72 swim team

'72 swim team
My New Tribe

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Staring Down the Barrel of a Gun: Welcome to Paris pt trois

Continued 
“Let me in. Let me in” Insisted the ominous voice on the other side of the door.  I feel like I entered into an Alfred Hitchcock horror flick.  I’m in my chonies fighting off an intruder who is trying to break into my room. 


“Welcome to Paris”  


Mind racing: Dark corridor. Men with dark circles under their eyes smoking and eating Pizza at midnight in the lobby. A credit card that “Doesn’t work.”  The money I flashed for everyone to see (including the pizza-eating, cigarette smoking Mafioso).  A phone that doesn’t work. Mysterious phone calls. No security latch. 

And “No one knows we’re in France” – Kerry innocently told the nice receptionist.




I’m holding the door closed – adrenaline pumping – and from past experiences with the not-so-illustrious “Wolf Pack” (my big brothers and their hippie tribe) I knew it was dangerous for less than three people at one time to attack me.  I COULD HOLD MY OWN.

There would be blood!  Whatever reason this guy or these guys felt they had to get into my room at 4:00 am in the morning – it had better be good enough for them to die over.

Though I was in my underwear, (don’t visualize it – just accept it), I had the stool in one hand and was prepared to defend Kerry and knew that it might come to bloodshed!  
IT WASN'T GOING TO BE MINE!

“You’re not getting into this room” I said holding the door against the frame (like the Grinch when he had the strength of 10 Grinches or like the mother who, with superhuman strength, lifts the car off her child.  
 Picture of Kerry lifting mini-cooper 


“I need to come into your room” said the all-too-familiar voice… as though this was perfectly normal, twisting the key in the lock.

“Why!” I shouted hoping to wake up anyone who might happen to be in adjoining rooms.

“Umm…you left your key in the door and I want to return it to you.” 

Lamest thing I ever heard. “Slide it under the door” I said incredulously, freak out that at 4:00 am I had to be fighting off a guy who says he needs to return my key that was left in the door and needed to get in.       Nothing made sense!  

I was sure this guy was a pawn of the sinister-looking-Mafia-guys and wanted to bust into our room. “Take the key downstairs – we don’t need it”

Whispering, I asked Kerry to look for our key to see if this guy was telling the truth.  I'm positive that he wants to steal our passports and money and I quietly tell Kerry to hide both of our passport holders.


But where? They’ll find it a dresser drawer and under the mattress, I thought, so I told her to throw them on top of the large, tall-freestanding closet.

“I need to get into your room…” He said still unlocking the door and pushing against.  “I need to give you your key back”
 
“Go away – you’re not coming in” I said pushing back against him. Then in a stroke of brilliance, I said “I’m calling the Policia” and told Kerry to push the bedside tables over to me.


We both knew "calling the police" was an empty threat - we didn’t know that phone number.  

Building a pretty secure barricade the two of us began looking for a phone book or for emergency numbers that should be posted somewhere.

No phone book
No emergency numbers listed on the back of the door.
        ... and no Gideon Bible ... btw. 

What do we do?

Shrugging my shoulders – I looked at Kerry who knew that we had no way of calling the police.

 My mind raced. How would we get out of this predicament?  “Kerry” I screamed loudly for him and anyone else in the hotel to hear “Call the police!” 

She shrugged back, knowing that she didn’t have an international calling plan and that we had no phone number.      Mission Impossible! 

What were we going to do and was this going to end in some kind of fight to the death?

We couldn’t call Kerry’s mom – she’d freak out and have a heart attack.

Who could we call for help?  We wracked out brains. 

Caryl!  Caryl knows France – she loves Paris – and she knows some French. It’s 4-dark-30 in the morning here and I think 7:30 pm, Sunday night back in Sacramento.  

We call.                      Caryl answers her phone.      Yay! 

We tell her the story. She’s now as worried as we are and begins an Google search. She gives me the French equivalent of our 911.

I try˗no good. 
I try with country code – no good.

I call Caryl back. Tell her to look up number the police department. She does, but tells us that in the meantime she looked up Hotel Scams on the internet and that this was most definitely a scam.  

She says she looked up the Hotel Balladins and found that a lady had her purse stolen while she was dining at the hotel restaurant. I knew it! This place is shady. "You need to call the police and call the American Embassy." she said.    

Meanwhile, the guy on the outside of the door says, he’s calling the police.
"Why?" That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  What's he going to do...tell them that he tried to break into our room in the middle of the night and has two American tourists trapped and freaked out of their mind”  I thought.

While barricaded in our room, we call the police and tell them the story. They have to transfer me to a different department. Ughhhh! I have to say the same urgent speech all over again. The officer tells me in broken English that he doesn’t feel like it’s such a big deal.  I repeat, “We’re tourist. We’re in your country and we're afraid. Please come.” The officer on the phone says he will personally be coming.

Hearts beating at (only about) a million beats-per-second. We put on our clothes and remain vigilant at the door.  

We call the American Embassy. They are freak out! They say that this is totally inappropriate. They have never heard of such a thing and that no one is to come into our room in the middle of the night – not even the police.  They take down our names, our hotel and phone number.  I tell them that we are frightened, but waiting for the police to arrive.  

Another knock on the door. It was a soft rap on the door like the first time. It sounded just like familiar tapping of the evil man who had tried to break in. OH, AND GUESS WHAT? DID I FAIL TO TELL YOU THAT THERE WAS NO PEEP-HOLE IN THE DOOR?

Dark hallway. No security latch. No peep-hole. 

"It's the police" a voice says.  

I don’t know if it is the police or a rouse. Is it the bad guys trying to fake me out? Do I open the door?  There was a tinge of nervousness in the voice of the man behind the door that I didn’t like. Should I trust it and open the door? 

I gave Kerry the look that I didn’t think we had any other option, but to open the door. 
I told the man that I wasn’t sure that I should and didn’t know how to trust if he was indeed the police. Grabbing the stool and holding it over head, Kerry and I removed the end tables and cautiously cracked the door open.

The door flung open. A foot was planted against the open door and another body quickly took a position in the door frame.

With my weapon (small stool) ready to strike and with all kinds of angry emotion all over my face - I was staring down the barrel of a gun!   




(This is my blog word limit. I apologize, but will have to continue this epic Dahlin saga in my next post)

  


2 comments:

  1. Mark!! You must finish this story!!!
    Apparently, you're okay and I'm thankful for that~
    Can't wait to hear more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just posted the conclusion... thanks for reading and thanks for commenting.. most people comment on FB so this is always a fun treat to have someone comment on the blog... Love you

      Delete