'72 swim team

'72 swim team
My New Tribe

Monday, May 25, 2015

The Steps of the Harding House: Celebrating 60 years of Freedom




Thank you to all those who gave their lives so that we could have the liberty and the freedom to safely assemble on stairs and front porches - We remember you... we honor you... we thank you... 
1955

 1957

Left to right Karl Mary Mark (in diapers) Erick Tony  

1960 with Ford Woody in background  
1962   handmade clothes

first row L-R Mary Karin Erick Mark 
Second Row L-R Karl Kurt Dad 
Third row top left Tony top right Kris  


1973  reenactment of the big accident 

  Swat team and animal control 

Karl, Theresa, Vicky, Vicki, Irma, Mark, Erick




                                         1978 Grandbabies


L-R Tony baby Erika, Mark, Irma, Theresa, Kris, Mary 



 going to the dogs  L-R Bluin Randy



 1979  L-R Uncle Mark. Erika, Tim, Tom, Kurt 



 1980 

L-R mom called "H. Joan" Irma, Kurt, Mr. D, Karl (top) Janet, Mark, Marilyn (top center) Mary, Theresa (second row), Dianna (above Theresa), Kris, Erick and Bill










                                                 Mid 80s   more grandbabies

  1999 foundation and pillar repair 



 2012 

Paint 


2014   Neighborhood Lennon (cousins) 
Kippy, Tommy,  Jeffery, Kevin, Michael

 

DAHLINS 



"The family. We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another’s desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together."~Erma Bombeck



Happy Memorial Day FROM HARDING AVE VENICE CA.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark - I can't tell you how interesting your blog is to read, it's fantastic. I live in Venice and have for about 15 years now. I often find myself around the intersection of Harding & Grandview and have always been drawn to it. Sometimes it's just after a nearby job, or a back-way I'll take home, but I've stopped on that corner a lot to take pictures, look up at the huge old palm trees, admire the wood work on the old victorian homes. I've always wondered about the big empty lot, the home across the street and about 925 Harding. So today I asked this lady who was with some family sitting in lawn chairs in the yard at 905 Harding. She told me a story of how she watched "the fraternity house" burn to the ground, she said it was sometime in the late 70s. Funny thing is I asked her because I felt l had seen the house there one night, and have always had this image in my head of how it looked. My grandma had a big old home like the one you grew up in, not in California, but in Michigan. The photos you have up here so remind me of what it was like with a big family in a gathering place with a big old wood front porch. So anyways not to make this too long, I've now seen some photos of the house that used to sit on that empty lot and it's weird because it's just what I had in my head. There is something about that street and the lots that has always been mysterious to me, lotta history on that block I now see. Thanks again for all the great writing and photography. Rob -

    ReplyDelete