'72 swim team

'72 swim team
My New Tribe

Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Surprising and Incredible Shock in the Movie Theater

I was so proud that my buttons almost burst off my shirt.  A moment that sent a scream of jubilation in a movie Theater last Tuesday night.

A moment that I hope that Dahlins, Blasers, Lennons, Tripps, Nargies, McClains, Cheryl Arnold Moseley, everyone on Harding Avenue, those from Venice - Chrys Atwood and those with roots in Santa Monica will also feel proud and might join together with me in a special moment of celebration.  

But first this...

I don't exactly know where I was on March 21, 1965 as a 9-year-old at Saint Mark's grammar school in Venice Ca.  It could have been I was being shot by my older brothers with needle-tipped arrows, shoved in a hamper, buried in a pit in the backyard or the day I accidentally discovered the alligator in the bath tub - I don't know. I don't know if it was one of the days I was dancing with my squishy black angel from Watts. I do know it was the year I was left behind at Salton Sea by my family and even more importantly than all of that - it was the first day of the Selma March in Alabama.

Martin Luther King had put out the call to clergy to join the March from Selma to Montgomery for the rights of black Americans to exercise their constitutional right to vote. Six nuns from the Midwest responded to King's call and joined the Martin Luther King in the march. It was the first time that vowed Catholic women had made so public a political statement, that changed the tide of public opinion. My Aunt Mary was one of those nuns who were later referred to as Sisters of Selma featured in a PBS special documentary. I am proud to say that my Aunt, Sister Mary Leoline, (native of Santa Monica - graduate of Saint Monica High School - who, during retirement lived in Venice at the Harding House) was the only nun to walk the entire March.  YES, SHE WAS THE ONLY NUN to march the entire way... THIS BRINGS ME TO THE JUBILATION SCREECH that disrupted the MOVIE THEATER... last Tuesday night!


A contingent group of my family in Southern California were watching "Selma" last Tuesday night, when at the end of the movie, a large cameo of original footage of Sister Mary Leoline -i.e. Aunt Mary - walks across the screen at the finish line of the Selma March in a single shot!

Pictured to the left is older brother, Kurt Dahlin, President and founder of Water Wells for Africa  (http://waterwellsforafrica.org) bringing the gift of water and life to 200,000 people every single day in Malawi.






This same excited gasp exuded from the four of us in Northern California who went to see the film the day before on Monday (with my mother-in-law, Sharon, who walked in the James Meredith march in 1966).



    
The same thing happened in Carmel California when my big sister, Mary Leoline (named after Aunt Mary), was watching the movie and also again in Las Cruses, New Mexico, when my little sister, Karin, was likewise shocked by the wonderful surprise of seeing this larger than life footage of our Aunt Mary "Bearing Witness for Change."  

VENICE - SANTA MONICA we have something to cheer about and can celebrate our rich heritage that made a significant impact in the world.

Here is the link to my Blog post that tells the Story of Aunt Mary.  

Stop racism: be an agent of change!  

Irene, my large squishy angel for nearly 20 years -  also worked on Harding avenue at the Blasers, the McClains, and at the Lennon house.

Good things can indeed come from Venice!






4 comments:

  1. That is so nice that she was shown in the movie. I haven't seen it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the pleasure of visiting with here at Harding Avenue.
    I typed a long, additional comment and it disappeared. ;o( so this is a test before I try again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha!…so…Thanks Mark for another wonderful read…..I just wanted to comment on the fact that even with all of the dysFUNctional elements in our childhoods we had some incredible role models in our parents, grandparents and AUNTS and UNCLES. VENICE and specifically…. Harding Avenue. The 'kids' in these adventures grew up to be active locally AND globally. They became carpenters, fishermen, artists, adventurers, musicians, ministers, teachers, doctors, athletes, coaches, and more. They are dedicated parents and grandparents. NOW….I need to see SELMA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true such a great perspective

    ReplyDelete