'72 swim team

'72 swim team
My New Tribe

Monday, July 1, 2013

"Love is All You Need" Someone tell the Wolf Pack


If you have been keeping up with this Blog and have followed the tumultuous life of little Markie D, you might be able to make the connection that the craziness at his house was a microcosm for what was taking place in the historical-cultural narrative in 60's Americana.



Long time values that had been in place for generations were under assault, the British invasion was in full swing, protest were breaking out on campuses across the nation, riots were taking place and my generation was being taught through music to question authority even though this message was couched in words like love and peace.
 

It's easy.
All you need is love, all you need is love,
All you need is love, love, love is all you need.
                                              Lennon/McCartney

It's easy.
All you need is love, all you need is love,
All you need is love, love, love is all you need. - See more at: http://www.allspirit.co.uk/allyouneed.html#sthash.lu2JCOEm.dpuf
It's easy.
All you need is love, all you need is love,
All you need is love, love, love is all you need. - See more at: http://www.allspirit.co.uk/allyouneed.html#sthash.lu2JCOEm.dpuf
 
It was ironic that this new definition of love knew nothing of true love and that this new generation who put flowers and peace signs on VW's, used violent means to protest the war in Viet Nam (i.e. they engaged in the same practices they were philosophically opposed to).

"Love" 

In the words of  Inigo Montoya  "I do not think that word means, what you think it means."

Love might come easy, yet requires a great deal of sacrifice and commitment.  I didn't like the "conflict" in Viet Nam any more than anyone else did. I didn't like the fact that one of my brothers was in boot camp and another one was being deployed.

But I did know that these peace-seeking...hippy "pontificators of love" knew even less about love than I did...and I knew very little. My house was the symbol of the new America at this time, while the Lennons across the street represented a bygone era that was quickly slipping away.
To sing songs about love while hurting everyone around you, just didn't make sense to me. There was nothing about this new brand of love that I understood. I did not hear the word growing up in my house and desperately wanted to know. I also figured that in my quest for love, that there were others who were just as insecure about their place in the world as I was.

On the outside I exuded confidence and was funny, but on the inside I felt hollow and empty like a Zombie. I was what people today would call "an-at-risk" child. I was vulnerable and a good candidate to be taken advantage of...but because I was either "special" because of Chewbacca's "Templates" or because of the times the oxygen supply was cut off from my brain...it might have been either my brain damage or the hand of God that must have been  present in my life to mitigate the terrible consequences of my low self worth.

In our house it was total anarchy, except for Wednesday and Thursday mornings when the Master Sergeant showed up.  

In Venice they created a brand new law - just for the Dahlins. It was the new institution of "Street Cleaning Day." Except for a couple houses on our block that did not have driveways, everyone on our street parked in their own driveways. Everyone that is, except for the Dahlins. Besides my mom and dad, four of the older boys were of driving age already; that's like six cars. BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! Tony, the oldest, was like a mad scientist when it came to cars or more like Dr. Frankenstein. A genius gear-head who stole the 427 big-block motor out of my dad's company car. Karl was in love with old cars and would piece a couple of them together...taking a liver out of one and an arm from another and stitching it on to another one.  We had cars, lots and lots of cars... and some of them ran! Race cars, trucks, antiques and a scout bus that competed for the limited space in our driveway leaving partial abominations that littered both sides of the street.
 
The poor, poor, poor, normal Lennons ! I don't know if it was their complaints (because we were bringing the value of homes down on our street) or it is was the old grouch next door - it didn't matter; new laws were put into place. What that meant for the poor, poor, poor Dahlins, is that every Wednesday and every Thursday morning, dad sounded the bugle as if trying to raise the dead so we could push the cacophony of broken down cars and trash sarcophagi from one side of the street to the other... 

Before I describe one of those terrible mornings... rude awakings... awful thumps to the head...when  broom sticks crash on the ceiling, at a time of near crashes and Wolf Pack antics, allow me to post some pictures of the Dahlin cars throughout the years.  This would make a great video - until then here are a couple pictures to wet your appetite until NEXT TIME When I attempt to describe an event that couldn't be topped by fiction even if Stephan Spielberg tried with all his money and all his might.



                                                                  Vans

Station Wagons
















Boats, vans, Volvo's , Big trucks, Small trucks











Broken Down trucks

Dream cars 


                                                                   more cars


















Small cars












                  Nice cars
Not so nice cars 
Cars on the lawn  
and of course People and cars
Until Next Time...
Know that True Love is out there...maybe not in Dahlin's driveway or on their front  lawn, but that you are indeed - passionately and relentlessly perused by the Greatest Love in the Universe.






2 comments:

  1. Awww yes the houses with the cars always were the subject of frustration in the neighborhood... My dad was a mechanic and my older brother loved to race cars... So parking on the lawn was a given.. I of course wasn't aware of the neighbors feelings... Yes love is all we need.... get to the true love part!!!!! Jonsey xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could they not be frustrated.... but our house dead center in the middle of that block was like the center of the universe and what made Harding so Special - or we might have been any whitewashed bland surburb in America - we definately made it interesting! And kept everyone on their toes!

      True love doesn't come until much later... :)

      Delete