'72 swim team

'72 swim team
My New Tribe

Friday, May 2, 2014

The Reluctant Reptile Wrangler

When I was down at the Dahlin House for my Brother's Memorial service I gained a couple more stories and felt that this would be a good time to tell you this one.  This funny story was told to me by Jack Cano (pictured to the left). We walked from the backyard around to the front yard to the exact place where this particular event took place - some hundred million years ago when dinosaurs and hippies co-existed.

(Pictured below is Jack telling me the story)

Just in case you haven't been following along with the blog from the beginning; the back drop for this humorous incident began years earlier when the Dahlin boys began their rather extensive reptile collection.  We had cages built into the walls of the older boy's third-story bedroom and cages built into old TV consoles we had converted into desert habitats. We had rattlesnakes and king snakes and garter snakes and the infamous Iguana Del Diablo (blog post 8/1/2013) up on the third floor. We had the alligator (BLOG post 11/1913), a giant bullfrog and a snapping turtle out back in the pond and our rather illustrious collection of four legged reptiles down stairs in the converted TV sets.

Most normal people sat around their TV sets in the afternoons watching cartoons or Bewitched (or the crazy Smith girls around the corner who had their eyes glued on Tom Jones in his glittery jacket and tight pants - Gross!) but the not the Dahlins. We were far from normal!

Instead, we sat around (like in the picture above) crammed in front of one of our gutted TV sets and watched the crazy world of the big, ugly, black chuckwallas, leopard lizards and horny toads climb around the desert habitat as if we were watching TV.  I remember one time how one of the hippies came in from the "Hooch Hut" from out back with eyes at half-mast, practically glazed over and desperately wanted to see what everyone was watching on TV and adjusted the TV antennae... saying "Dude, what channel is this bro?" Thinking we were all watching a miniature version of Godzilla.

As you know, we had inmates escape all the time - NO, not the hippies- but members of our precious reptile collection....i.e. Iguana Del Diablo...our alligator (that's another story). Our cages seemed to be especially vulnerable to snakes of all sizes and color and it was unusually upsetting to the entire neighborhood whenever a rattler managed to make a jail break. though this was a frequent occurrence at our house, I'm not gonna lie - whenever a rattler got out it freaked us out also.

On this particular occasion the glazed eye'd hippies were watching another episode of mini-Godzilla - feeding the Chuckwallas some meal-worms when one of them shot out past the foul mouthed mynah bird in the entry and took a flying leap off the front porch. This time the prehistoric creature did not head across the street to the Tripp's house (I guess, Iguana Del Diablo must have told it that it was not a good place to hide), instead it slid under a car and eluded the Wolf Pack who had been running around like the Three Stooges only there were about 16 of them. "The 16 Stoodges" Wow I'd see that in a theater.


After a short while the Wolf Pack had lost interest and most had staggered on back to where they come from.  Karin and I were still playing outside and that is when we saw it!  The grouchy old lady next door was out gardening in the front yard grouched over a hedge she had been was trimming with some rusty hedge clippers that were so old I sure Noah and his kids had used them way back in the day.

And there right below her bent-over-behind was the chuckwalla. I think that old lizard mistook her butt for a big rock or something. I was afraid for a couple reasons. Chuckwallas liked to squeeze themselves in tight places between rocks....do you know what I'm trying to say? I could see that thing making a run at her moo-moo and trying to fit himself in a spot where the sun don't shine.  I really didn't have too much against 'O Enda and although I knew that it couldn't end well for her, I figured if that chuckwalla ended up where I thought it might, It certainly wouldn't end up well for the escaped felon - the poor thing.




So Karin and I hatched a rescue plan...she would distract the old lady and I would wrangle the giant ugly behemoth.

Just as we put our plan into action, Jack Cano was coming back from Ralph's liquor store with a six pack and saw the whole thing. Karin tapped Edna on the shoulder and looked up with those puppy dog innocent eyes of a 6-year-old and I flung my weaselly little body right under Edna's butt, rolled across the ground and came up with chuckwalla tightly clenching to my chest with one hand and holding its jaws shut with the other hand.  I walked away wiggling and squirming and wrestling with Godzilla scratching at my chest and Edna turned around and snarled, "What's wrong with him?"

Karin looked up at her and said in reply, "That's just Mark...everyone says he's special!" smiled walked away.  Legend has it that Jack dropped his six pack and had to make another trip after trying to describe everything he just witnessed to Karl.

Just another weird day on Harding Avenue!





Here is to you Smith Girls!





For you android users
Tom Jones: What's New Pussy Cat

10 comments:

  1. I keep returning to this, so I can laugh some more. Some of us do get the colorful families...don't we? Wonderful story, please write more.
    I've wondered for years what became of Jack Cano. I remember him having an extremly homely dog named Paco. Of course, that was later. Paco deserves his own blog.
    Thanks for the stories. I laughed from the belly.
    Tanja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Tanya, sorry for getting back to you so late. I saw jack just a couple weeks ago at my Brothers funeral.. he appears to be doing pretty good and yes, I think that dog was rather notorious!

      Delete
  2. Paco was larger than life. I always thought he'd be great comic strip material...

    I think you should write a screenplay. You can't make this stuff up, and you are a great writer. Your brutal honesty tempered by your keen insight, humor, and love, is what transports the reader and puts them inside the picture. If you ever write a book, I will be the first in line to buy it. Much respect.

    Warm regards to Jack :)
    Tanja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Tanja... I feel every encouraged by your kind words - thank you! I will try to pass your regards to Jack next time I venture back into my home country of Venice. :)

      Delete
    2. Tanya send me some of you Paco memories - I would very much like to include them in future blog post.

      Thanks markie d

      Delete
  3. Mark, my own memory might be a bit blurry regarding that era. I just remember marveling that Paco seemed to be quite the little man about town, and that he seemed to get to some fair distances all on his own. A rather large orbit. I do remember a conversation I had with his owner ( assuming the guy he lived with was actually his owner!) and saying something along lines of, "shouldn't you try to keep him at home?"
    I believe Jack said "Paco's kind of his own dude" and kind of shook his head. And Paco always came back...
    I think he really was his own dude.
    Of course, I have no idea what became of Paco either...but he remains a character in my memory. I'm like that...
    Tanja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so funny... you should think about writing. I love your descriptions

      Markie d

      Delete
    2. so funny... you should think about writing. I love your descriptions

      Markie d

      Delete
  4. Thank you...I do write, although at the moment, very quietly. Your own stories have inspired me to consider coming back out of the woodwork, seeing as my checkered childhood involved being a member of the only family I knew in Santa Monica that kept chickens in a mostly dirt yard, danced the polka in the driveway, and had really weird sack lunches that required explanation. We were also warned whenever we left the house, "Watch out for hippies" which still makes me laugh out loud! Of course, it made me directly seek out exactly whatever those were!
    Perhaps I will write more about our black bread eating, multi language household one day. The hard part is that the truth always has the "good and the bad" inside it, and that makes people uncomfortable, as you might know. Sometimes the most uncomfortable is the story teller herself, because telling the story means using the voice she didn't always have. It makes her vulnerable, and maybe even a "traitor." But it's her story. ( Or his..)
    Everybody has a story. It's in telling it that we discover what our story really is, I think...
    ..my thoughts about my writing as I read some of your attempt to explain yourself recently, and how it relates to my own desire to hurt no one with what I write...

    Tanja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow you have an amazing way of writing... and sensitivity - i too don't want to hurt anyone ... but to tell my story the bet way That i an that is MY STORY which makes a couple in my family weirded-out believing that I am telling their story... Oh well - but your family and your story sounds bizarre and funny and like good reading.

      Delete